Pages

  • Home
  • About Me
  • FAQ
  • Forum
  • Contact

Thursday, February 19, 2015 Dealing with Burnout

Creating YouTube content has definitely become a kind of weird addiction for me. The giddy feeling I get watching my channel stats increase, constantly trying to out-do myself (or others), and never wanting to let viewers down gave me a unique kind of 'rush' which in turn may have contributed to me feeling burnt out lately.

I would definitely label myself as a workaholic. I love when I have something to accomplish whether that be going to work, clean, make YouTube videos, or write a blog post. When I don't have something to accomplish, I feel lost or as if I'm somehow wasting time. However, because of this desire to constantly do something, I often don't give myself any downtime to recharge my batteries thus resulting in some serious burnout.

My typical weekday is leaving for work at 7:30AM and getting home from work between 6:00PM and 11:30PM depending on my work event schedule. If I'm lucky enough to get home at a decent hour, I will walk Dexter, make dinner, and then start creating YouTube content for as long as I can before passing out. My weekends (until the summer at least) are also not always free. Usually I have to work at least 1 of the 2 days (if not both) and on the days I actually do have off, I often have to run errands or see family/friends. On top of my heavy work schedule and YouTube channel, I am also in the process of buying a house which involves A LOT of scheduling, signing contracts, and constant communication with an attorney, Realtor, and loan company.

Needless to say, I've been exhausting myself lately.

















I just wanted to update you all on my life outside of YouTube & explain why I can't always put out consistent content. It's not that I'm lazy AT ALL, it's just that I don't always have the free time to do it. It sucks having to compete with other YouTubers who can make videos full-time when you're not able to...

Lately I haven't been feeling healthy at all...just tired and stressed. I need a few days just to pull myself back together & force myself to relax a bit. I'm hoping to upload again some time this weekend when I find time to record/edit, I hope you guys all understand!

How do you deal with burnout? Any tips you can give me?

Image Credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/francescarter/14104198231/in/photostream/

6 comments

  1. Try guided meditation on youtube. Always helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take time for yourself, Dexter and your familly and friends. Their contact will be helpfull and make you see things differently. Don't stay alone! I know than we want to be to in that situation, but it's not good for you. Don't worry about your youtube channel, I think I can talk for many, all we want it's your well-being. We understand than you are not okay. What kind of followers are we if we can't support you when you need it? We'll wait for you and will be glad when you'll come back fully healthy! ^^ But for now, take all the time you need. We are all with you and we are massively shooting you positive energy. ;) Yea, you can imagine many, many people in circle, in the middle of a forest at night, summoning good energie and feeding you (our goddess??) with it! xD Maybe we should create a cult for you? O_o If the last line make you laugh a little, I'm happy ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cult of Laurenzside. Lol. David does have a point though. What kind of fans would we be if we weren't waiting for you? We all understand life can get hard and stressful, and some things have to get pushed to the side. You need to make time for you, though. Buying a new home on top of all that too? Talk about busy! I can't speak for everyone, but I know I'll be waiting here for as long as it takes. As for dealing with burnout, I tend to numb my mind with minecraft, the Attack of the B-Team version. That, or paint Warhammer figurines. It is oddly relaxing to put them together and paint them. Perhaps you need an artistic outlet like that, just painting or drawing. You should try it sometime. I started out with one character and a few paints. 2 groups later, I'm not regretting it.

    ReplyDelete